top of page


"We fight so that victims can become survivors."
                                                               - State's Attorney Jim Rowe
The Sex Crimes Division of the Kankakee County State's Attorneys' Office is committed to prosecuting crimes involving the physical abuse of children as well as all crimes involving the sexual assault of either child or adult victims. These cases include molestation, rape, physical abuse, failure to register as a sex offender, and other sex-related crimes.  The unit is comprised of highly skilled, specially trained attorneys dedicated to prosecuting these type of crimes.   Below are some answers to frequently asked questions, as well as contact information for local resources.

I was just sexually assaulted. What should I do?

Get help immediately. Call 911. Police officers will come to where you are and take you to a hospital, so that you can be treated and DNA evidence can be collected. The hospital will photograph any injuries.

If you don’t want to report what happened to you, you should still go to the hospital, both for your own health AND so evidence can be collected, which will make a stronger case if you later decide to make a report. Be sure to tell a family member or friend at once. Seek advice from someone you trust, so that you feel safe and get medical attention. You can also call the Victims Assistance Bureau of the Kankakee County State’s Attorneys’ Office for guidance during normal business hours at 815-936-5800.


I'm not sure I can talk about what happened.

The Kankakee County State’s Attorney’s Office has a special sex crimes unit with lawyers trained to handle these cases. They have a lot of experience and are trained to be sensitive to your concerns as a survivor of sexual assault. They will make you comfortable, explain the steps of the process to you, and answer your questions. Most of all, they understand that what happened to you is not your fault.  You also have access to the Victims Assistance Bureau of the Kankakee County State’s Attorneys’ Office for guidance during normal business hours at 815-936-5800.  Other local agencies that can assist in the event of a sexual assault are listed below.  


Our Office's Victims Assistance Bureau can provide or help you obtain a variety of services, including:


  • Individual or group counseling;

  • Appointments for medical examination or treatment;

  • Transportation to court proceedings;

  • Advocacy on your behalf with other agencies;

  • Assistance with medical bills relating to treatment; and

  • Introductions and referrals to other crisis counseling agencies.

How to contact us: 

Sex Crimes Division

Kankakee County State’s Attorneys’ Office

450 E. Court Street, 3rd Floor

Kankakee, IL 60901

815-936-5800 tel


Useful Numbers: 

Kankakee County Center Against Sexual Assault


1440 W Court St.

Kankakee, IL 60901

(815) 932-7273 tel.

(815) 932-3322 (24-hour hotline)


Presence St. Mary’s Hospital

500 West Street Court Street
Kankakee, IL 60901
(815) 937-2100 tel.

Read more about the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) at St. Mary’s:


Riverside Medical Center

350 N. Wall St.
Kankakee, IL 60901

(815) 933-1671 tel.


Harbor House

Domestic Violence Shelter

(815) 932-5800

Please note this resource list is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to be a recommendation of any of the specific services provided by the programs. This does not list every resource available to sexual assault victims in Kankakee County.

bottom of page